Culadasa is now offering private consultations online

Front Page Forums Dharma Treasure Community Information Culadasa is now offering private consultations online

This topic contains 25 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Blake Barton 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Samuel

Due to cultural differences I should have stated this upfront. When I calmly express anger like this I am trying to urgently communicate the fact that I am concerned. I am not offend and apologize for the confusion. Given my poor health, this will be my last post on this topic. If able-bodied people want to continue this discussion that is fine. For those who are making aggressive accusations without evidence, I politely encourage you to read slower in the future.

Best Wishes,

Samuel

Hello to All,
    A very kind and generous person has responded to this discussion by donating two consultations.
    Please feel free to recommend anyone you think might gain some special benefit from one of these opportunities. I feel like members of this community know each other well enough to make that discernment. You can recommend yourself as well.
    For sake of fairness, I will give priority to those who receive multiple nominations.
    In joy and love,
    Culadasa

Pop

Personally, I really don’t matter how much Culadasa charges for a personal consultation. But I would be worried if his staff of teachers were expensive too. No complains here, the book is crystal clear and its price really low for all its content, plus the audios for free in the webpage and helpful teachers online responses for free.

Nevertheless, as a non US practitioner, Culada’s fee it’s quite expensive. It’s about 20-25% of a middle-class month salary in my country… Or more than 6 times what a psychologist charges for 1 hour live (not-online) consultation. And it’s quite expensive compared to US martial arts top teachers fee (US$ 150) for a personal class (not-online). Of course, you can’t compare oranges and apples, but you get the point.

Anonymous

If others wanted to donate a session, or make a donation to defray part of the cost of a session, anonymously, how would they go about it. Thank you

Hi Colleen. One way is to send an email to consultations@culadasa.com describing what you want to do (ie. donate a session or pay, for example, 1/2 the cost of a session for someone) and I will post the offer the way I did yesterday for another person who has donated two sessions.
    The generosity that has been forthcoming regarding these online consultations is impressive. The reddit/mindilluminated group has also been donated a session and are now deciding amongst themselves how to use it.
    BTW, that subreddit has already done a group session with me. which is another innovation that I found very enjoyable.

Samuel

I decided to make one last post on this topic. I will consider my concerns addressed if the following context is provided on Culadasa’s consultation page (not necessarily in this order):

1) he has a family to provide for and has given up a steady source of income in order to devote himself to teaching

2) he offers many freely available resources (provide links)

3) he would not be able to do both 1 and 2 without his consultations

4) his online discussion forum is a place where one can get useful advice for free from his teachers in training

Given this context I do not think his consultations will rub people the wrong way.

I would like to point out as a closing remark that Culadasa’s consultation page is the first page to grab your attention on his website. For that reason it is important that it does not create a bad impression out of context.

neko

Sorry for bringing up this defunct thread, but it has been brought to my attention that what I wrote above:

Why do overly expensive private consultations make this a cult?

sounds like an unfaithful representation of Samuel’s original concerns, which was that others might think that this is a cult. I am sorry, because I understand that having one’s point of view misrepresented can be quite frustrating. I was assuming that, from the context, it would be clear that I was referring to the (potential) opinions of Samuel’s friends, and not his own. I certainly did not mean to strawman, but, with hindsight, I realise that what I wrote was unclear, and I would like to apologise to Samuel.

Have a great day everyone!

neko

Anonymous

Hi Neko,

For what it is worth, I re-read your earlier post and I don’t find that you misrepresented the concern expressed in Samuel’s original comments.

However, it is very kind of you to make certain that there is no room for misunderstanding. I applaud you. I hope you have a great day as well.

Colleen Vaughn, Dharma Treasure Teacher in Training

Samuel

Hello Neko,

Thank you for the clarification – much appreciated.

Have a great day
    Sam

Samuel

Hello again,

Sorry to post on this topic again, but I recently noticed that neither the consultations page nor the donations page mentions that it is possible to donate consultations. I simply wanted to point out that mentioning this possibility somewhere on the web site may be profitable.

Live long and profit
    Sam

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your feedback. That sounds like a good idea, and I will forward it on to Culadasa.

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.