Impasse at an early stage

Front Page Forums Meditation Impasse at an early stage

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Blake Barton 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Adrian

Hi Blake,

” I have a feeling that your attention is alternating between the breath and thoughts, analysis, and judgment about the meditation process. This may not allow much awareness of anything else. I went through a similar phase in my practice.”

This is pretty spot on. If peripheral awareness fades, it’s usually thoughts that are there, and yes, usually about the process. Doing the exercises mentioned, peripheral awareness is just ‘there.’ Indistinct, but there, without having to repeat the intention. Those are good analogies, they make sense.

“Intentions are important, but it sounds like you are trying to put another layer of effort and “doing” on top of them.”

Yes, I think I’m over-complicating intentions and I’m going to stop verbalising everything.

“I recommend moving towards simplicity as much as possible.”

I’m certainly going to try and do that. Like I said earlier, I think I’ve had a type of paralysis analysis. I appreciate you taking the time to explain these concepts to me.

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Adrian,

You are most welcome. I really hope these suggestions are beneficial. You can learn to let go of the over analysis and over trying, but you can’t just make them stop. Observing and labeling those patterns with equanimity is a good way to let go of them. Just get to know them like old friends coming back to visit.

Please keep us informed.

Best Wishes,
    Blake

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.