Dullness and agitation together?

Front Page Forums Meditation Dullness and agitation together?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ben

Hello all,

I’m practising in stages 4-5, and sometimes – particularly when I’m tired – it feels as if both woozy sludginess in the breath sensations and restless agitation in the mind are present at the same time. It’s a bit like how being tired makes it more difficult for me to relax or go to sleep, a slightly wired feeling. I’m not quite sure how to approach this state as the antidote to one fuels the other. Should I treat this as dullness (since the original cause is likely the tiredness) and try to rouse the mind first?

Thanks

Ted Lemon

One of the barometers I’ve used for this in the past is to notice what the content of the agitated thoughts is. If it feels kind of weird, surreal or fictional, that’s hypnagogia, not agitation. It feels busy like agitation, but indeed the cure is to counteract dullness in one way or another. One way to do it is to notice whether peripheral awareness has collapsed; if that doesn’t do it, sterner measures may be called for.

Ben

Well this is what is confusing me, as the thoughts seem to be very normal. Maybe it’s more that when I get close to strong dullness (there’s occasionally dreamy/woozy bits) my mind lurches into gear, so I’m oscillating between the two. It feels very difficult to find a balance in this state though.

Need to make sure I’m well-rested I suppose!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.