Struggling to understand how to set the intention to engage with the breath

Front Page Forums Meditation Struggling to understand how to set the intention to engage with the breath

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Josh Geller 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

John Anders

Hi everyone,

I am really frustrated as I am having a hard time understanding how to set the intention to engage with the breath as fully as possible without losing peripheral awareness.

While I have recently learned how to use intention (though I am still playing around with it) and I can direct and redirect attention, and I have had one or two times were I’ve had attention on the breath together with peripheral awareness I am having a hard time understanding how to set the above intention.

Some people (including a teacher) have mentioned just setting a gentle attention on the breath, that way I would be allowing anything in the background to be there. However, another teacher has said that this is not enough since if you only set the intention to place the attention on the breath gently, the attention will become stronger and stronger and take over peripheral awareness.

Another thing to mention regarding the intention to engage with the breath without losing peripheral awareness is the way this intention is phrased assumes that you are already starting out with peripheral awareness but what if this isn’t the case? Would I then set an intention to focus on the breath while expanding peripheral awareness? If so how does one do that?

With both of these intentions what exactly am I supposed to do or expect. What am I supposed to wish to happen?

I understand peripheral awareness at an intellectual level and have read all or almost everything written in the forums (and on reddit) about it but I just can’t seem to figure out how to set the intention. And except for the one or two times were I have actually noticed that I could focus my attention on the breath and notice everything else without focusing on it, I have no practical experience with peripheral awareness.

Thanks in advance.

Josh Geller

Hi John,
    I think one way to understand what setting an intention means is to think about what it feels like when you try to throw a dart at a specific region of a dartboard. Initially, unless you are an experienced dart thrower, the dart will not go where you intend it. As you keep trying, the dart approaches the intended target. Your intention has not been verbalized but it is what drives your action. Subtle, partially unconscious adjustments are created by the feedback loop of your results measured against your intention. Following breath sensations is completely analogous.
    As far as understanding your peripheral awareness try the following: listen to some music and focus on one of the instruments or a voice. While you focus your attention on that single object you are still aware of all the other sounds. The other sounds provide a context for the object you have chosen to isolate. You can also do this experiment with food. While eating something try to isolate a flavor or texture. This is done through attention. Once again, the other sensations related to eating don’t disappear, they are in peripheral awareness.
    I hope this helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.