Strange sensations: How to deal with them?

Front Page Forums Meditation Strange sensations: How to deal with them?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Manjushree

Hello everyone,

I have only just started my meditation since a few months. That said, i have been able to establish a daily sitting practice only a couple of weeks ago. I started reading The Mind Illuminated by Upasaka Culadasa. And my! What a skillfully composed book it is!

I have taken heed to the lack of motivation, diligence and discipline and found ways to tackle it. And have tried to the best of my ability to devote an hour for meditation. So far, i have had regular meditation practices. I presume i am hovering somewhere between Stage 1 and 2 now.

Almost two weeks into this, i have started to experience many strange sensations such as pins-and-needles sensation over plantar aspect of my feet sometimes going all the way upto my knee, unable to make a mental picture of my hands, strange vibratory sensations over my hands, unusual throbbing headaches, twitching of facial muscles with visible movements,sensations of movement of the pulse coursing through my limbs, pain just below my chin and sometimes a kind of buzzing sensation over plantar portion of my feet.

All this while i was able to experience these strange sensations solely during my meditation sessions and try to gently direct my attention over to sensations associated with breath during the practices. Though they pose as a hindrance sometimes. I try to direct my attention time and again to the breath. Now these peripheral sensations are arising even when i am engrossed in daily activities. I am at the kitchen table making some coffee or reading a book and suddenly i feel this uncomfortable burning sensation all over my feet. It’s surprising and even worrisome to me.

Would be really helpful to me if you could tell the best way to deal with them. Thank you so much. May peace be with you.

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Manjushree,

It sounds like even though you are at stage 2, that sensations of piti are starting to arise. They typically arise in stage 7 or 8, but for some people they arise much earlier. I recommend reading the Sixth Interlude in The Mind Illuminated, to get more information about what is happening.

As you have seen, these sensations can arise outside of meditation as well. My recommendation is to turn your mindfulness towards these sensations. If they get so strong that you cannot easily ignore them, then switch and make these sensations your object of meditation. Try to observe them with as much objectivity as possible. For example, notice if the sensations change over time, are they more intense in certain areas, how large is the area where you feel these sensations.

It is also helpful to try to have equanimity around these sensations. They won’t hurt you, but they can be intense or unpleasant. Try to notice if you have any mental resistance to these sensations. Notice any thoughts or fear around the sensations.

If you suddenly started practicing for 1 hour at a time, this may have been too much for you. Some people are more sensitive to meditation than others. I recommend lowering your meditation time until things get more comfortable and stable, and then slowly increasing it. You might also try some walking meditation discussed in the appendix for part of your meditation time. It can help to balance the energy flows.

Please keep us informed about how things are going.

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher

Ivan Ganza

Hi Manjushree,

I wanted to add; you may find these sensations a bit strange, uncomfortable, fascinating, distracting, enjoyable, even annoying at times — that all will pass in time. it is usually a bit uncomfortable and unsettling at first.

Hope you keep going 😉

Cheers,
    -Ivan/

(DT Teacher in Training)

Manjushree

Thank you both for the kind advices. I will do as you say and read more on pīti.?

Anonymous

Piti is entirely mental phenomena. But if you get anxious about it, you can become really ill. Mental, it comes and it goes. Try to focus your attention on locating very precisely the origin of a particularly bothersome sensation. Pinpoint it!

But there is another side you must know. This usually arises for most of us as beginners in the form of ordinary pain when sitting. This is the subconscious mind objecting to your efforts to meditate and become the boss! The subconscious does not want to be disturbed! These pains are mental in origin, and you will learn to see through it.

However, your headaches are wholly unacceptable and you must correct your practice to get rid of the headaches immediately. Sounds like you are trying too hard. Sitting twice per day is much better than once. Start with 2X30 minutes per day. So long as you are keeping your schedule without fail, increase by 5 minutes per week. If you miss a sit, it is because your mind is objecting, so you do not increase your sitting time that week. You will likely experience a comfortable plateau at 40 minutes. Keep increasing, if it makes you happy.

When you finish your sit, give yourself an all-body massage, rubbing in the direction your body hair grows, starting at the top of your head. If you get up feeling miserable, your mind will object to future sitting. Get up feeling good.

For relaxation, try my So Cream! When you begin your sit, visualize a big ball of So Cream directly over your head. It is So Good, So relaxing, So divine, So Happy, So forgiving, So healing… you get the idea. The ball of So Cream melts and flows down on to the top of your head and slowly down your body, covering everything and making every part So happy. All the way down to floor. And then it keeps flowing, entering the top of your head and filling your body from the top downwards.
    Then do your planned meditation method.

So you will have lots of sensations. Planned and Pleasant sensations.

When you are always looking forward to sitting, that is when you know you are doing it right!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.