Stage 8 Questions

Front Page Forums Meditation Stage 8 Questions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Becky 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Becky

Hello,

I moved into Stage 8 about 10 days ago near the end of a home retreat. I’ve been experiencing grade IV piti since much of Stage 7, and it starts up as soon as I sit down to meditate. I think I touched on grade V piti during one sit on the retreat. I have not experienced any grade 1-III piti (no unpleasant piti) or the illumination phenomenon yet. So my question is which practices to work with now? On page 301 of TMI Culadasa says that when you’re experiencing grades I-III piti to do the practices on exercising the newly compliant mind and when you’re experiencing grade IV piti to switch to the pacification of the senses and meditative joy exercises. So far I’ve been sampling all of them except the illumination jhanas. I’m enjoying Choiceless Attention the most because of the stillness that continues for a while after meditating. Finding the Still Point and Realizing the Witness has been the biggest challenge, I’ve only tried it twice so far. I don’t know if I’m ready for it yet.

I’ve also continued to do the form jhanas, sometimes starting the session with the form jhanas and then moving into Stage 8 exercises – are the form jhanas helpful/appropriate at this time?

Also, on the bottom of page 317 Culadasa says that when you experience grade IV piti it’s time to temporarily abandon the practices on exercising the newly compliant mind and completely ignore body sensations of any kind. Does that include ignoring the pleasurable piti?

I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Thank you,
    Becky

Adam M

Hi Becky. You seem to be at a similar point to me! Sounds a bit odd. Culadasa says that grade iv piti is only present at stage 8 and sometimes stage 9. You may be further along then you think.

For the still point exercise, are you aware of the guided meditation below:

https://soundcloud.com/culadasa/sit-breath-wake-up-still-point

I found it a lot easier to do using this. He also provides here a few more questions to ask about the witness which I found pushed things forward. I would definitely recommend. The still point is a very calming exercise even if you don’t get the insight. And after doing it several times and just asking the questions, the mind seems to just click into place and suddenly it becomes really obvious. I found it really astonishing and strangely a huge relief. Hope it works for you.

Can’t help you on anything else as I doubt i know any more than you. But I’m sure you’ll get there. You seem to be progressing quickly.

Adam.

Becky

Hi Adam,

Thanks so much for your response. I did not know about this audio so I’m excited to do it. And I am very happy to meet you.
    Perhaps sometimes I am further along, I’ve been meditating a long time, but only learned about TMI in January and it has jumpstarted my practice in ways I never even considered 🙂

Wishing you the best with your practice as well.

Take care,
    Becky

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.