Regimenting checking in and a quick extrospective awareness question.

Front Page Forums Meditation Regimenting checking in and a quick extrospective awareness question.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Blake Barton 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Mike

Hi all,

I notice that in TMI, Culadasa recommends during stage 3 that we “check in every six breaths or so.” I would think something like this must have a conscious crutch at first – like, for instance, counting to six then checking in, then starting at one again. Otherwise checking in becomes prone to forgetfulness no? If I do it “every six breaths or so” then it’s dependent on having the same aha moment that catches mind wandering in stage 2. I could also see problems with regimenting the process in that it will ingrain this process too strongly in the brain. What do you all think of this?

Also, am I right in believing that the book’s only prescription for maintaining extrospective awareness is “intending” to do so? If so is this just something we sort of state once at the beginning of the meditation or something more refined?

Thanks in advance. Your time answering is much appreciated.

– Mike

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

I recommend trying to check in every six breaths or so without counting. If that doesn’t work, then you could try counting for awhile. I would let go of the counting as soon as you are able.

For your second question, I recommend taking a look at some of my replies about intention and peripheral awareness in the following thread starting with the May 28th thread.

http://dharmatreasurecommunity.org/forums/topic/impasse-at-an-early-stage

Best Wishes,
    Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.