Nine-part stepping meditation

Front Page Forums Meditation Nine-part stepping meditation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Blake Barton 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Blaz Simcic

Hello, I’d like to thank Upasaka Culadasa, Matthew Immergut and Jeremy Graves from the very bottom of my heart for such a wonderful book – it literally changed my life. I would also like to thank all teachers in training and other forumers who help us at our paths.

I have some questions about Nine-part stepping meditation. I’m able to identify all nine parts in every step, so I think I’m ready to try following specific sensations in each of nine parts.

These are my questions:

1. When you’re able to identify all nine parts, does it mean that you’re able to identify exactly one specific sensations in every part of a step? Can someone help me and name one or two specific sensations in one of the nine parts?
    2. How do you know that you lost peripheral awareness in walking meditation at this stage (do subtle distractions, especially thoughts start to re-emerge)? Is it ok to hold just one single intention – to try following specific sensations in each of nine parts as clearly as possible?
    3. Does the thorough investigation of this method directly counteract subtle dullness?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Blaz

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by  Blaz Simcic.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by  Blaz Simcic.

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Blaz,

I have not practiced the nine-part walking meditation very much, because I generally prefer a simpler type of walking meditation. However, I will attempt to answer your questions.

1. If you can identify all nine parts then you must be noticing different sensations in each part. If not, you would not be able to identity the nine parts. If we know something is happening there must be some sensations associated with it. It can also be a change in sensation. The sensations you notice may be different than what I notice.

During the first part of the lifting, I notice a pulling sensation in the skin of my heel, because I am barefooted on a laminate (plastic) floor, and a slight amount of suction was created. I then notice a lack of pressure, and a muscular pulling force inside my foot.

When the ball of my foot comes off the ground I notice the suction force again. I then notice a tingling sensation on the bottom of my foot in the same area. I then start to notice a pressure in my toes, because more of my weight is supported by the toes.

I hope this gives you an idea of what you could notice. However, it is important to examine your actual experience without expectations of what you “should” be feeling. There may also be portions of the step where you cannot identify a specific sensation, but you will probably start to notice more as you continue this practice.

2. You know you have lost peripheral awareness, when you are not noticing anything other than the sensations of walking. If you are walking with your eyes open, you will probably at least have some awareness of the visual field. Are you also noticing sounds, etc.?
    You do want to have the intention to be peripherally aware, and you will know this is happening because you are aware of things besides your meditation object.

3. Yes, this detailed investigation should help to counter act dullness. It takes a pretty sharp attention to notice this level of detail.

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher in Training.

Blaz Simcic

Dear Blake,

I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. If you don’t mind, I have an additional question:

You do want to have the intention to be peripherally aware, and you will know this is happening because you are aware of things besides your meditation object.

Doesn’t this happen spontaneously during walking meditation?

Thankyou and best regards, Blaz

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by  Blaz Simcic.

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Blaz,

I think it would be hard to do walking meditation without having at least some peripheral awareness, particularly if you eyes are open. However, you may not necessarily have introspective peripheral awareness unless you intend to.

In Ajahn Brahm’s book Mindfulness Bliss and Beyond, he talks about being so absorbed in walking meditation that he did not hear another monk yelling his name. In this case he must not have had much peripheral awareness.

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher in Training

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.