Measuring meditation quality

Front Page Forums Meditation Measuring meditation quality

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Andrew

Hi!

There are some self-report systems in science to measure everyday mindfulness (say, MAAS for example). But I can’t find anything for measuring quality of the meditation session. Say, it’s possible to estimate the stability of attention, the number of thoughts arose, the quality of extraspection and introspection awareness so for. Do you think it can be helpful?

Michael Dunn

Hi Andrew

Some of these functions of the mind happen in lower / deeper areas and cannot be measured by eeg. Even if some could you would have to meditate hooked up to an eeg machine and hat, which may affect your meditation.

If a device could measure all those aspects of your meditation that you list, you would really only be collecting data, in a “Quantified Self” approach, but I would ask how that would help you move through the stages of meditation and awakening? In some ways, this data is just brain-candy if it doesn’t help. I think, on the whole, that certain aspects of our mental development need not be measured in order to be verified, and that the intent to measure everything is not necessary for progress.

The desire to measure is an intellectual approach to meditation, which may help to engage you in the early stages, but at later stages, you will have to let go of the labels and conscious control that this measuring technique imputes, as well as the striving that it engenders. It is important to develop the skills to know the quality of your meditation yourself, I would say that if you had excellent introspective awareness, then that is your instrument to measure the quality of your meditation session. You don’t have to look outside of yourself to accomplish what you are looking to do, just do the practice!

So yes, while it may be intellectually engaging for a bit, IMHO, I feel that using scientific instruments to measure your session is a distraction from your ultimate progress in meditation practice, and more importantly not necessary because your mind already can be developed to perform the same purpose.

Michael
    Dharma Treasure teacher-in-training

Andrew

Hi Michael

I mean the self-report measure, not EEG, fMRI etc. it’s a kind of questionnaire where we answer the questions and try to estimate the quality of our meditation. For me it looks useful for 2 reasons:
    1) when we try to estimate different aspects of meditation we pay closer attention to them, can compare them and it helps us to be more aware of them in future
    2) using this system we could estimate our progress and weak points.

Sure this measures will be not precise and objective, but anyway I believe it could help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.