Experience of past/present/future lives

Front Page Forums Principles of Dharma Experience of past/present/future lives

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Don Salmon 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I just listened to the newest audio recording (Stronghold 22 December 2013) where Culadasa mentioned experiences of other lives being possible during sleep or meditation. This idea is so different from the way I’m used to thinking about the world that I don’t think I can accept it without experiencing it. But what I’m wondering is what are the limitations of advanced practitioners when using this ability? And what obstacles prevent this ability from being tested scientifically?

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

I think you are on the right track. The Buddha asked his disciples to experiences things for themselves and not take his word for it. There has been some research into children and remembering past lives.

Culadasa says that past lives memories may not be our own past life, but A past life.

Blake

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Here is the link from the previous post. It didn’t go through the first time.

Blake

Don Salmon

I agree very much with Paul’s overall comment. I would just add, if this remains of interest to you to the point it’s distracting, it may help pacify your analytic, questioning mind to look at some reasonable scientific investigations (don’t get pulled off track by looking around the net as you will get caught up in very heated, unpleasant fights between skeptics and others). You could look up Ian Stevenson and Jim Tucker, both of whom have done excellent work, recognized as such by Alan Wallace.

But I probably should repeat, unless this is really an ongoing concern, probably best to leave such things aside until much meditative stabilization has been developed (and then, you may lose interest in it:>))

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.