Stage 8 Differing Statements on Mastery: Inner Light, Etc.

Front Page Forums Meditation Stage 8 Differing Statements on Mastery: Inner Light, Etc.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  altj1a 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

altj1a

I am trying to deal with two differing statements. TMI Says Stage 8 is mastered (1) “when your eyes perceive only an inner light, your ears perceive only an inner sound, your body is suffused with pleasure and comfort, and your mental state is one of intense joy.” In the conclusion to that chapter I read (2) “You’ve mastered Stage Eight when you achieve physical pliancy and meditative joy almost every time you sit.”

I am not sure what to do with these two statements. I can say I am near satisfying the concluding statement. I cannot say that I fully understand the other. I can be gazing at the wall and see it while mind becomes brighter. I also develop a faint ringing in my left ear. (I have tinnitis in my right.) The rest of statement one is clear cut.

I am not sure what is meant by “your eyes perceive only an inner light,” especially in that I may be gazing at a wall, eyes open. If closed, this may mean luminosity but no stipulation is provided. Nor am I sure of the practice to achieve this, albeit maybe Grade IV piti.

Most important, I don’t know whether to observe both comments or only the concluding one about physical pliancy and meditative joy.

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Altj1a,

The inner light (illumination) typically appears with the eyes closed. I am really not sure if it appears with the eyes open. I have also heard teachers say that the inner illumination does not appear for everyone even if the concentration is quite deep.

You might want to emphasize the following definition of Pacification of the Senses. “Complete pacification of the senses means that normal sensory information no longer get projected into consciousness, because the sensory sub-minds have grown temporarily quiescent.”

Pacification of the Senses typically precedes physical pliancy. I have heard Culadasa mention that there is quite a bit of variability in how the higher stages unfold for different people.

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher

altj1a

Hi Blake,

I have had luminous experiences with the eyes open and closed but am not sure that is the same as the inner light, so I may be among the “variables.” If it is different than that maybe the inner light will yet happen, maybe not.

In terms of complete pacification, it seems, at least for me, that as meditative joy spreads it crowds-out normal sensory information, leaving room only for itself.

So, in terms of unification, pacification, and physical pliancy, meditative joy can do the job. I may be an isolated example. Of course, a concentrative/absorptive state with metacognitive awareness and attention must first reduce sensory input before meditative joy can spread.

As Culadasa points out, one can cultivate pleasure as a preliminary to the meditative joy. This cultivation helps diminish sensory information thereby making it easier for metacognitive awareness and attention.

Thank you for your response, Blake. It was helpful.

John

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  altj1a.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  altj1a.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.