Connecting in stage 3 question

Front Page Forums Meditation Connecting in stage 3 question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Blake Barton 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

B Lejon

Have I understood the task correctly if I think a better name would be “comparing” since that all one does, at least in stage 3. Or have I missed something here?

How do a do with a breath cycle without any breaks/pauses. Do I just compare the in and out breaths with each other?

I really like to know exactly what to do at all times when sitting and this I’m not sure about at all and appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi B. Lejon,

Please remember that connecting is an optional practice in stage three. You only need it if following gets very easy, and it does not sufficiently engage your mind.

In the case where you don’t notice any pauses, I recommend just comparing in and out breaths, or comparing the current in or out breath to the previous one.

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher

B Lejon

Thanks, that made the task a whole lot easier but I will try that because I think I need to do it at stage 3 already since my following the breath technique is already decimated because of my lack of breaks/pauses.

Matthew S

Questions regarding connecting best practices:
    1. In determining the duration of each component of the breath (i.e. in-breath, pause, out-breath pause) is the best technique to count to yourself as in “one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, etc.” Or is there a better time keeping method? Or is the duration just an approximation?
    2. How often should connecting be done? Is it technique that can be done continuously like noting? Or should it only be done when a change in mental state is noticed?

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Matthew,

Please remember that connecting is an optional practice in stage three. You only need it if following gets very easy, and it does not sufficiently engage your mind.

You don’t need to actually count the time. I recommend starting simple and noticing if this pause is longer, shorter or the same as the previous one. Once you get the hang of this, you can do the same with the inhale. Once that is easy add the exhale.

You can do connecting continuously if you find it helps you stay engaged with the breath. The real purpose is to give your mind a challenge.

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.