Beginner's Question – Counting Breaths

Front Page Forums Meditation Beginner's Question – Counting Breaths

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Louis Stevens 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I am enjoying, and benefitting from, the marvelous guidance in The Mind Illuminated. My question concerns something I have been doing, specifically, using my fingers to keep track while counting up to 10 breaths. I must say, following the suggestion of Culadasa by beginning the breath cycle as the out breath begins has made a nice difference. What I do is, starting with the thumb of my right hand, at the start of each out-breath I extend a digit until 5 breaths are done then go to the left hand, then back to right hand and so on. It is much the same as fingering rosary beads to me.

Using this method for the past week, I’ve noticed a major decrease in forgetting and mind-wandering, so it seems to be serving me well. I started 20 minute meditation periods, I’ve been staying on track very well and will soon be increasing the meditation period. But it is evident to me I have introduced a secondary object of attention (the hands/fingers)and would appreciate the thoughts of experienced meditators here concerning this practice, potential problems, etc. Thank you.

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Louis,

Welcome to the forum. Are you counting breaths for the entire meditation period or just until you have successfully counted 10 breaths in a row? Culadasa generally recommends only counting until 10 consecutive breaths have been counted.

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher in Training

Hello Blake,

Thank you for your reply. I can see it was good I asked the question. I’ve been counting breaths for the entire period. Forgetting and mind wandering have been minimized since I began doing that, but I was concerned the counting might be something I would not want to rely on long-term. On more than a few occasions, like halfway through the period, I had a good pattern going with consecutive breaths, then interrupted things when I realized I had not counted for a few breaths, so the focus went briefly to the fingers, which made me wonder. So I can confidently stop at ten. Thanks again for your help.

Lou

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.