Dharma Treasure in Canada

Front Page Forums Dharma Treasure Community Information Dharma Treasure in Canada

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Darlene T 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tony-James

Hello Sangha,

I was wondering if anyone here knows of great places to practice for long periods (several weeks to a few months) of time in Canada? I live in Ontario and I’ve noticed a few teachers in training located in British Columbia and one in Quebec but it seems like they mostly do online service.

I heard Upasaka Culadasa reference Canada pretty often, and he seemed to have learned a lot about Buddhism here in Canada according to his interview on the “Buddha at the Gas Pump” podcast. He referenced learning a lot from Kema Ananda, who has passed away but one of his students is Ajahn Punnadhammo in Ontario who teaches Anapana and Mahasi noting. I might steward at the monastery he dwells at if I have the opportunity to. Culadasa also referenced a teacher of his named Jotidhamma Bhikkhu, who is no longer a monk but lives in Canada’s west coast. He cited him as the first person to introduce him to samatha-vipassana practice! I was also wondering about staying at Birken Monastery in British Columbia. I have no aversion towards rites and rituals in Buddhism, by the way. I feel like a lot of the forest monasteries don’t necessarily care what technique/kammatthana you practice, as long as it is towards freedom from suffering by means of sila, samadhi and panna training. I could do meritorious chores in the morning and practice and study in the afternoons and evenings for months and really cultivate a powerful mind intended for insight. Possibly even do some long retreats during a rainy season. Please let me know your thoughts.

I’ve been to five 10 day retreats and volunteered on many as well by living at meditation centers for months at a time.

With loving-kindness,

Jhapeti James

Tony-James

After writing this post I stumbled upon this serendipitous quote:

“When there is a little spiritual desire, the Lord sends books and teachers to further inspire you; and when your desire (for God-realization) is stronger, He sends a real guru.” ~ Sri Paramahansa Yogananda

Darlene T

Hello Jhapeti James!

arrowriverforest@gmail.com; This is the email address to contact Punnadhammo at the Arrow River Hermitage near Thunder Bay…I’m sure he would be happy to hear from you!

Darlene Tataryn (TMI Teacher in Training)

Darlene T

Hi Again Jhapeti James!

There is also The Hermitage on Denman Island off the Coast of Vancouver Island BC…a beautiful rustic setting for long term sitting and good teaching resources.

Darlene Tataryn (TMI Teacher in Training)

Darlene T

LOL….also The Dharma Centre of Canada in northern Ontario (two hours from Toronto…and then there is also Clear Sky near Fort Steele in BC. main teachers being Sensei Doug Duncan and Catherine P. Lama Mark Weber has a retreat centre on Galiano Island called Crystal Mountain and he is well known to lead long retreats…and travels alot. These as well as the Hermitage are Karma Kagyu centres though more specifically Universalist as Namgyal Rinpoche, the root teacher of Kema Ananda and many other major Canadian Teachers. Ok…I think thats it : )

Darlene

Tony-James

Wow! I really appreciate your help Darlene! Thanks for the homework! I will take all these names, throw them into Google and investigate what might be the best option for me. This TMI approach really seems appealing to me. I read a post from Nick Grabovac where I’m pretty sure he said that the approach in TMI helps foster an understanding of anatta which is a stronger characteristic to be aware of when dealing with strong dukkha!

Darlene T

Hey Tony!

You are welcome! Enjoy the exploration. Re Nick G and anatta…yes TMI definitely helps with strong dukkha in that it really explains in western language what Buddha was teaching about one of the three marks (anicca, dukkha, anatta) of existence and how we entangle in our own self contraction and suffer…quite the ride!

Darlene
    (TMI Teacher in Training)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.