Physical sensations and pain medication

Front Page Forums Meditation Physical sensations and pain medication

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ted Lemon 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Black Ghost

Hello all,

I was wondering whether Culadasa has mentioned anything regarding the following.

I’m on two long-term medications that help with managing pain due to a physical condition and am wondering what to do regarding the affect on sensing physical sensations. I’m not on stage 5 yet but when I’ve done body scanning work in the past the physical sensations I feel are quite ‘vague’ – I don’t seem to be able to feel too much. Whether this would change with time I don’t know. I thought that feeling the sensations in the nose may have improved a little over time but there’s not been any improvement in sensing sensations and I feel nothing in the nose most of the time. The only time I really feel much in the nose is when it’s really cold. I don’t feel too much in the belly area either.

I’m guessing most people would have some experience of how their usual levels of being able to sense physical sensations are affected after taking regular or any other kind of pain medication?

So at the moment I’m mainly wondering whether I should stick with physical sensations, at the nose or otherwise, as the object of attention or try something else. I was working with stage 4 but seem to be back at 2/3 most of the time now.

Thanks.

Ted Lemon

I can’t tell you much about the effect of pain meds, but I can tell you that what you are describing sounds pretty normal to me. Getting to where you are experiencing clear, vivid sensations at the nose and in the body takes a while. Some people get lucky and figure it out quickly; for others it can take a long time. It took me a long time. 🙂

Try not to push. Rather than turning up attention, turn up awareness. Don’t be disturbed by things that appear in awareness that aren’t what you are trying to feel. Let them be there, and instead play with the focus of your attention.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.