ideas on how to build relationships through Dharma Treasure?

Front Page Forums Help Wanted or Offered ideas on how to build relationships through Dharma Treasure?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Samuel 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Becky C

Hi, I didn’t know where to put this so here it is:)

I watched Culadasa’s talk on zoom this week, at the end someone asked how we could help him, he answered by supporting the teachers at Dharma Treasure:) So I would love to hear any ideas on how about ideas on how to begin a interaction with a teacher in training then how it might be structured.

I did social work years ago and there was a time i needed people to practice with more than I needed money, I am wondering if this is the situation? I am sure teachers are at different levels and needs, but I like working with new teachers that are on fire with learning but may not have their practice built up, it is fun.

I am sure most of us feel this Dana/donation thing is complicated. I went on Tuscans community mediation centers website and I liked that they had a very small charge, like $5.00 a session but there was something to start, I am sure some people give more. Open ended is too hard for me I avoid it.

In my perfect world I would pay someone ten to twenty and hour for like six weeks to see if we were a good fit, mutually beneficial, to work together. Also could utilize different teachers and their strengths this way. I could get help with my strict mind illuminated training, yoga, submind/psychology, motivation. I paid for a group recently and so glad I did, it is really solid and my foundation is becoming really solid. But I live on 850.00 a month so won’t always be able to do that.

Tons of cool stuff we could do here would love to hear others visions and needs.

Also is this website primarily for teaching and learning? Like we ask questions and people give answers or is it for general interaction too?

Thanks!

Julian S

Hi Becky, excellent questions! (and wasn’t that Q&A insightful as always). Thanks (on my own behalf as a new teacher trainee) for your enthusiasm to pitch in and build the community. There are a few volunteer initiatives at present along the lines of making it easier (through tools and guidelines) to connect and engage through the site, between teachers and practitioners, teacher to teacher, and student to student. In the meantime though, I think simply reaching out on the forums as you have done is the way to go.

Others may be able to advise if there is a policy regarding conversational content vs meditation-specific topics on the forum here. I’m personally just happy to see people interacting, and am not overly concerned about the form it takes. But I suppose once we have a lot of traffic there could be advantages to segregating things a bit.

If you want to have a video call sometime, send me a message.
    Maybe it becomes a regular thing, maybe not, but I’m always up for a dharma chat 🙂

Kind regards,
    Julian (teacher in training since Jan 2018)

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by  Julian S.

Salina D

Hi Becky!

Have you found the teacher listing and contact info page yet?

https://dharmatreasure.org/teachers-in-training/

I think that link and this forum are good starting points to begin an interaction with various teachers. You can peruse the list at the link and reach out to anyone with contact info available. I was just reminded that I need to get my own bio up, but I’m one of those new teacher types you mentioned. 🙂 I’d be happy to talk with you about some sort of mentoring arrangement, as would others I’m sure. Different teachers will structure it differently, opting for either a set fee or dana. I’m in the set fee camp, but it can be reduced depending on circumstances – super flexible. I’m currently disabled myself so I know what it’s like to live on a fixed income.

As for other ways of interacting, I’m part of a task force that came together to develop tools and resources for TMI teachers and students. One of the project areas is Community Development, looking at ideas to build and enhance learning communities such as teacher-to-teacher and student-to-student peer groups. That work will be ramping up in the coming weeks so if you would like to be a part of it, drop me a line and let me know. You can email me directly at smdiiorio@gmail.com.

Best,

Salina

Dharma Treasure Teacher-in-Training

Becky C

Thank you for your responses, absolutely what I was wishing for, a beginning conversation that helps us all:) It is so reassuring and reinforces my trust in this system that you all are in the planning stages of ways to connect, some subminds love hearing about tools and resources! Ironically I am in McDonalds and so many people are on vidieo chats, I cant concentrate so will respond to you all later, thanks, thanks, thanks!

Becky C

So along with Culadasas statement I had been wanting to ask about accessing teachers in training because I had been building my foundation for about 12 weeks when I realized, I was scared to go very far with my mediation without an experienced person to run things by, if need be.

After reading most of The Mind Illuminated I now understand, 30 years ago I had a typical, usual pita experience that scared the crap out of me and I have not mediated deeply since then. I have been deepening my commitment to living the Dharma over the years and it was getting hard to avoid mediation! So I searched and found The Mind Illumanated.

So to finish this story…getting in a group with a teacher allowed a safe spot to relax and let the mediation happen, so far so good, nothing unusual, everything the book describes and the antidotes work. knowing there is backup that knows what they are doing makes all the difference, I can see how at least some of my sub minds are not going to let us proceed without being able to access competent help if needed, they are very wise sometimes:)

So now that I have tried it with and without support I can see it can be done alone, and with forums, but probably way more skillful to have support. …which brings me to the teacher in training page with profiles…I read them first thing when joining, profiles were very good, but for me to contact anyone I would need more practical information, if I was totally desperate I would do it with the info provided but it would be a last resort:) and just speaking for myself….erring on the side of too much info works, I want to find common ground so throwing in a bunch of stuff, more likely to find that, Hope this helps, I see a bunch of people needing and wanting help on forums and has always been hard for me to watch people wanting help and not knowing how to access it, and now I have taken vows to help all sentient beings sooo when they can come here and easily access it, I will feel better! It is getting hectic in the trenches

Julian, thanks so much for responding means a lot and love how you did your profile picture:) Yes, those QandAs…I like that it links many of us that are currently into studying The Mind Illuminated with Culadasa and each other, it helps my motivation and seeing the bigger picture. I had been thinking how to show respect for this man that is leading so many of us on a path toward enlightenment (if we choose) so when he answered, help Dharma Treasure, the teachers and teachers in training it was great, I thought, I might be able to do that! I will give it a go:) it is cool knowing you were there too! I may take you up on the video chatting, I am learning to embrace it:). It is a brave new world. Thank you for explaining that all this is being addressed, helps to understand that, I can see the dilemma of what to focus on in forum.

Salina, I sent you am email, please let me know if it didn’t get there and I forgot to formally end it, McDonald’s was wild! I would love to be involved in any capacity, I was really into peer support in the old days I love it, thank you for doing this for all of us. Happy learning and teaching to you both

Salina D

Hi Becky!

Nope, I didn’t get the email. Could you resend? Thx!

-Salina

Dharma Treasure Teacher-in-Training

Becky C

Salina, thanks for letting me know i didnt send it! Rewrote shorter version, i can see i sent nothing the first time.

Thanks again for responding, means alot:)
    Wishing you happy training and a good day!

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Becky,

I know it has been awhile, but I wanted to comment on a couple of your questions above. I know the Dana amount can be quite confusing at first. One guideline that I like is to think about how you would like to be compensated for your time. You might consider how much you make per hour before taxes, and consider giving at least this amount to the teacher for an hour of her time. If you are on a very limited income it would be good to discuss that with the teacher in advance.

We are working on an initiative to help students select a Dharma Treasure teacher or teacher in training. We are thinking of having sorted lists by specialty. For example, a list of teachers who specialize in working with beginners, or certain types of issues. We also might sort by geographic regions or time zones. Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Blake – DT Teacher

Becky C

X

Becky C

X

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi Becky,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We will take these ideas into consideration as the task force develops strategies. We will also probably have opportunities for students such as yourself to volunteer to help with implementing some of these tasks.

Blake

Samuel

In response to Blake’s posts:

someone has probably thought of this already, but I have an idea on how to better pair students and teachers. Create a list of spiritual obstacles and strengths. Have teachers rank each on a scale from 1 to 10, based on how strong each item was near the beginning of their practice. This would theoretically allow students to find teachers whose practice experience was closer to how theirs is.

Sam

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.