Practices for going to sleep?

Front Page Forums Meditation Practices for going to sleep?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Becky C 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Becky C

This is wonderful, being able to ask people questions potentially being able to avoid problems before they become habits!

For years i may be putting myself in a state of dullness to go to sleep, i realize from reading the book. Currently i am reriewing the six steps of preparation and four steps of narrowing attention, counting breaths and relaxing body with body scan to go to sleep. I could see this maybe associating all this with sleep? My intention is to ingrain, memorize the process so it becomes a habit.

How do you all go to sleep?

Is there certain practices that are recommended?

Thanks!

Frederic

Hi,

Do you mean what to practice while falling asleep or what to practice in order to fall asleep?

The article On Mindful Awareness vs Dullness may be interesting to read.

I avoid the body scan while going to sleep as it tends to keep me very awake.

Cheers

JC

Hello Becky,

//novice alert, but I can give sleep advice//

I have had bouts of insomnia in the past. I also had similar anxieties about the techniques learned in TMI becoming an impediment to my sleeping patterns. I’m about 3 months into my practice and I can say that it just hasn’t been the case that my sleep has been negatively affected (I can’t speak from experience regarding later stages of meditation). I think an important thing is maintaining a sleeping routine. For me, it’s hitting the sack at around the same time every night, with book in hand (one that’s easy reading and makes you feel good). Generally, I’m out in 10-30 minutes. Once your body gets used to this, it tends to stay in this mode. Of course there are nights when this pattern gets disrupted, but going back to the routine as soon as possible seems to eventually get me back on track. A gripping movie or documentary, ones that one generally isn’t mindful during, tend to leave me on edge before I go to sleep. I try to avoid these situations, but do partake from time to time. So long story short, I think meditation and sleep can live happily with one another. It’s the routine that’s key.

Becky C

JC,thats great to hear, no negetive effects, congrats on three months in. Yes i think you are right routine is key.

Fredrick, thank you for link, it answered my concern, i was worried i may be training myself in dullness but this explains the difference.

I was asking primarily about practice while falling asleep. Realized people that are mediating alot my have come up with practices around sleep.

Thanks so much!

“It can also be very helpful to meditate while going to sleep at night, and to observe the transition from wakeful alertness, through subtle dullness, strong dullness and then sleep, a transition that can occur either quickly or slowly. Learning about mindful awareness vs dullness is only one of many benefits to be derived from meditating while going to sleep (and immediately upon waking, and there are some special features to these two meditations that are a topic for another time). But anyone can benefit from simply observing the mind while observing the breath while going to sleep”

JC

Ahh, gotcha. Glad you found what you were looking for!

Becky C

JC, i appreciate all thnking on my ill pharsed question! So nice to have people and not just books and talks to process this undertaking with.

I was responding to fredricks very relevant question that really made me think about what i was asking.
    He has offered us some really solid advice, i am working on a format so i can do my minful review each day, i can see for me this sort of exercise will decrease chances of a dark night type thing, as will having people on the path to talk to, so thanks for any input. I am getting ready to head to tuscon area and camp at national forest cohise stronghold campground so i will hopefully be able to meet some real live tmi practioners:)

Mimi M

Hi Becky,
    I, too, am a novice and teacher in training 🙂

I like a mantra practice to help calm the mind and facilitate falling asleep and also elongating exhales. Every once in a while I will wake up in the middle of the night and I find that my mantra just smooths out the wrinkles and I fall right back asleep. Essentially, my exhalations become elongated through the practice and it keeps me from thinking about anything that will entangle me.

My mantra (and there are many to choose from) is a very old mantra from the Upanishads. I really connect to its meaning and I like the way the sanskrit resonates in my mind and body. When trying to go back to sleep, I do it silently but it is also really useful during waking hours if I find myself obsessing about anything and it does not make me fall asleep but just keeps my mind free from concerns.

Asato ma sadgamaya
    Tamaso ma jyotir gamaya
    Mrityor ma amritam gamaya
    Om shanti shanti shantih

Lead me from ignorance to wisdom
    Lead me from darkness to light
    Lead me from death to immortality
    Om peace peace peace

Namaste,
    mimi

Becky C

Mimi, Falling asleep will be the perfect time for mantra:) it is soothing, keeps mind busy like you said. I had been looking for a way to incorparate mantra practice. Thanks for.taking the time to respond, wishing you lots of satisfaction in your yoga and teacher training.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.