How to exercise peripheral awareness?

Front Page Forums Meditation How to exercise peripheral awareness?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Blake Barton 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

G C

There have been a lot of posts on the distinction between peripheral awareness and attention, but the thing that I have had trouble gleaming from them is how to apply this in my practice. That is, what exactly should I be doing to exercise my peripheral awareness as well as my attention?

Thanks! 🙂

Ivan Ganza

Hi GC,

The most pithy and simple way I can think of to put this is as follows:

Think of peripheral awareness as a flood light that is always on, shining in all directions, but it can become obscured in various ways. Think of attention as a focused bean that can be pointed, it’s intensity can be changed, and it can obscure/overwhelm the flood light of awareness. Not a bad analogy as a very brightly light can obscure stuff in the background.

In terms of your question: The only thing you should be doing (apart from the actual practice) is to maintain a healthy balance between attention and awareness. Not totally focused and blocking out awareness (too much attention). Not totally dull and diffusing awareness/attention.

Reserving enough consciouses processing power such that peripheral awareness has some energy to operate with.

It will _automatically_ work —

In terms of attention — you apply attention as is appropriate for the practice you are currently doing — while at the same time maintaining that critical balance so that peripheral awareness remains nourished.

I’m sure others will add more helpful descriptions.

Sincerely hope this helps?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by  Ivan Ganza.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by  Ivan Ganza.

Blake Barton
    Keymaster

Hi GC,

For additional information, I refer you to Culadasa’s recent post on this topic, which now appears at the top of this forum.

http://dharmatreasurecommunity.org/forums/topic/questions-and-clarifications-about-peripheral-awareness

Blake – Dharma Treasure Teacher in Training.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.